The Living Arts Playback Theatre Ensemble
Playback Theatre Training
Personal stories transformed into improvised theatre pieces, on the spot,
incorporating music,movement, ritual, and spoken improvisation
Christine Kalb and Vicki Dello Joio
-- Members of the Ensemble --
Mondays, 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
January 28 to May 13, 2013
(15 sessions at $40 per session. Must commit to entire series.
No class on Presidents’ Day holiday, February 18)
Please bring a check, payable to Living Arts, or cash,
to the first session.
Final session will be a Playback Performance
by the Class Participants: May 13, at 7:45 p.m.
Moments of our lives can be touchstones, full of power and significance. Playback Theatre transforms personal stories told by audience members into theatre pieces on the spot using movement, ritual, music and spoken improvisation. Sometimes a story becomes myth, sometimes a realistic enactment: some stories are tragic, others are funny or illuminating.
Workshop participants will learn the subtleties of the Playback Theatre form, acquire or refine acting and improvisation skills, and share in the often profound experience of hearing each other’s stories and bringing them to life. The Playback process helps develop intuition, insight, creativity, and effective communication. It also creates community and connection among people by honoring the dignity, drama, and universality in their stories.
Previous theatre experience is helpful, but not a requirement. This training is for actors, teachers, therapists or anyone interested in creating art from the specific and universal in our experience. Shy people are welcome!
· Christine Kalb is an actor, director, teacher, and founding member of the Living Arts Playback Theatre Ensemble.
· Vicki Dello Joio is an actor, director, teacher of theatre, chi kung master teacher, and published author. She has been a member of the Living Arts Playback Theatre Ensemble for nearly 15 years.
Playback Theatre creates a ritual space where any story - however ordinary, extraordinary, hidden or difficult - might be told, and immediately made into theatre. And where each person's uniqueness is honoured and affirmed while at the same time building and strengthening our connections to each other as a community of people.
The original Playback Theatre Company came together in 1975, with Jonathan Fox as its director. This was in the mid-Hudson valley of upstate New York and part of the experimental theatre explorations of the 1970s - looking for ways of reaching out to its audience, bringing theatre closer to everyday reality, and breaking away from the tradition of scripted theatre.
- Innovation & Renewal: In Applied & Therapeutic Theatre8/1-8/4 4-day intensive, Berkeley, $500 ($450 before Jun. 1)...More+
- Finding Sanctuary in the Body: A Yoga, Art, & Somatic Psychotherapy Group for Survivors of Sexual TraumaTues. 5/14-6/18 7:15-8:45p, $25/wk, Emeryville...More+
- ACTS of COURAGE: An improvisational theatre performance inspired by personal stories of heroism in the face of injustice Playback Theatre, 5/19 2pm, Live Oak Theatre, Berkeley...More+
- Ageless Pizazz! A 3-month group for women at midlife and beyondThurs. 7:00-9:15pm, 6/20-9/12, 12 weeks, Emeryville...More+
- Transform Your Life Script: A Drama Therapy GroupTues. 5/21-7/30 6:45-9:45p, $40, San Francisco...More+